Interpreting Double-Slit Diffraction Using Scientific Models
The power of scientific modeling is introduced with the Black Box, a simple yet compelling demonstration. Students are challenged to predict the behaviour of an electron as it passes through the slits in a classic double-slit experiment. The provided video lets students compare their models with popular interpretations among the scientific community.
- Lesson plans: Interpreting Double-Slit Diffraction Using Scientific Models
- Videos: Quantum Interpretations (approx. 3:30 min)
- Demonstrations: Black Box
- Supplementary Materials: How to Build a Black Box Model and more
- Teacher-provided Materials: Black Box (drainage pipe and end caps, rope)
(Note: all lesson plans and worksheets provided as PDFs and modifiable MS Word documents)